Spruce Lodge continuously strives to improve the quality of care and service for our residents and to promote a healthy and supportive work environment for our staff. The COVID-19 pandemic has presented us with many challenges yet we have worked hard to ensure a consistent high level of care and service. Specifically, over the past year our Leadership team through its Quality Circle, been focusing on the following areas based on the pillars of our Strategic Plan.
Priority Area #1 People First:
- We are introducing a new staffing model that will increase resident care staffing levels. This will provide consistency in service delivery and ensure that all aspects of care meet best practice and MOHLTC standards. This staffing plan will be reassessed and adjusted annually as part of the annual budgeting process, the quality improvement process, and as part of the work of the resident first committee.
- We are implementing specific strategies to improve the ratio of staff to residents. This will ensure that areas such as wound care, continence and falls are monitored and addressed in a timely manner.
Priority Area #2 Quality:
- We are improving the timeliness of medication passes by increasing the number of daily med passes and by reducing nurse travel time from the nurses’ station to the resident. This has involved the purchase of new medication carts and changes to the physical plant by adding a second nursing station. Timelines for medication dispensing will be monitored routinely to ensure compliance with physician orders and will be assessed as part of the quality improvement process.
- Spruce Lodge has had an active quality improvement committee for more than 12 years. This committee, Quality Circle, meets quarterly and identifies areas for service and care enhancement. Further, the committee has been instrumental is providing leadership through several Accreditation processes, even during the pandemic. We are currently expanding the quality improvement committee to ensure representation not only from all departments, but also to include the medical director and representation from pharmacy, public health and the resident population. Together the committee will determine measures of quality to be monitored and reported on throughout the year.
Priority Area #3 Partnerships:
- Spruce Lodge has been a full and active member of the Huron Perth Ontario Health Team since its inception. We believe the future of health care will depend on our ability and willingness to work in partnership with our fellow care and service providers.