VolunteerPrint this page
We welcome volunteers. If you have a talent, skill or passion that you want to share, we are committed to making your experience fulfilling for you. You will make a difference!
Volunteers serve as a liaison between the community and the Residents of Spruce Lodge. Volunteers enable us to implement new programs or continue current ones, breathing life into the programs we offer and bringing added vitality and companionship into the lives of our residents.
Spruce Lodge volunteers include people from all walks of life and span all ages. Volunteers must be:
- Willing to share their time
- Warm and caring
- Responsible and dependable
- Respectful of confidentiality and Resident Rights (as laid out in the Nursing Home Act)
- Able to work well with seniors
Where will you Volunteer?
Our Spruce Lodge Continuum of Care includes 128 long term care beds at Spruce Lodge, 3 apartment towers with supportive services (2 are fully accessible) and 68 single story, life-lease garden homes at Hamlet Estates.
At Spruce Lodge, we strive for excellence in accommodation and services for seniors and the physically and mentally challenged, in a pleasant, caring, home-like environment, ensuring dignity and quality of life. Our philosophy “People First” continues to guide our work in all that we do.
What Volunteer Jobs can I choose?
At Spruce Lodge there are endless volunteering positions to choose from. We pride ourselves on ensuring that volunteers are properly orientated to the home prior to volunteering. Volunteers begin their position confidently, knowing their volunteer role and fully supported by staff.
Volunteer Positions include:
- Friendly visiting and strolls
- Activities, arts and crafts
- Woodland Towers Corner Store
- Gardening and flower arranging
- Outings and special events
- Therapy and Pool Portering to and from programs
- Bingo, cards and games
- Palliative Care
- Worship Services
- Tuck Shop/Lounge/Café Tea Time
- Reading Stories and Current Events
- Montessori Methods for Dementia
- …and more!
What do I do to become a Volunteer?
Follow these 5 steps:
- Submit an application form with 2 references, information about your personal interests, time availability and volunteering interest
- Attend a short, informal interview with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Provide a satisfactory Police Check prior to working with residents
- Provide 2 character references which will be checked
- Attend orientation and training
- We ask you to evaluate us, after your orientation, to find out how we are doing.
- We also ask for your feedback yearly
Volunteers are a valuable part of the Spruce Lodge Team and we want ensure that all volunteers feel appreciated for their contributions.
Are there benefits to Volunteering?
Volunteers who work at Spruce Lodge achieve personal goals as well as the sense of satisfaction.
Other benefits that volunteers report having are:
- Developing important new skills and friendships
- Developing awareness of community services that benefit seniors
- Enjoying opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Improving their life and the quality of life for others
- Gaining valuable workplace experience and knowledge
- Completing 40 hour volunteer requirements for school
- Completing Co-op programs for college or high school
If you are interested in volunteering, please download the printable volunteer application form by clicking the link below, fill it out and mail or take it to the Volunteer Coordinator at Spruce Lodge.
For more information, please call: 519-271-4090 ext. 2257 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org